Beaufoy Merlin
and
Charles Bayliss

Hill End visitors, 1870–1875

Beaufoy Merlin and Charles Bayliss of the American & Australasian Photographic Company documented the town at the height of the gold mining boom. Their remarkable collection of several hundred glass-plate negatives was re-discovered in 1951 in a Sydney backyard shed. Like story-telling traditions in which the past and the present co-exist, these images now literally float before the physical fabric of the town in the form of interpretive panels before the spaces they once occupied.