Haefliger Cottage

Russell Drysdale

Hill End visitor, 1947–1956

Russell Drysdale first came to Hill End on a motoring holiday with Donald Friend in 1947. He undertook numerous significant paintings based on the site, including The Cricketers (1948). His collection of many hundreds of photographs is held by the State Gallery of Victoria. These include both small black and white prints and colour slides. Drysdale appears to have used the camera as a sketchpad, an aid to the development of his painted images. He also photographed people and events with a studied casualness.

more…